If you grow our Hatch Chile seeds, then you probably know you use Hatch chiles in pretty much any recipe for great flavor and heat. Here's a twist on one of our favorite salsa recipes, using hot hatch chiles for the heat and flavor, and heirloom tomatoes for an amazing salsa.
Hatch Chile Salsa Recipe
- 4 Cups of Diced Fresh Tomatoes
(5-10 Heirloom Tomatoes) ~ or ~ 1 large can of whole tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup of Hatch Chile, roasted, deseeded & diced (use any heat desired, we like hot chiles like the giant Hatch Doublecross Green Chile)
- 1 medium sized Red Onion, diced
- 3-6 Garlic Cloves, peeled
- Juice of 1 Lime
- I Bunch of Cilantro, including stems
- Tomatillos – Optional: 1-2 tomatillos will sweeten and add flavor to the salsa. You can also make this a Tomatillo Hatch Chile Salsa and substitute tomatillos for all the tomatoes.
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Red Chile powder (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon of sugar (completely optional, to taste, to sweeten a tad if too acidic)
- Salt and pepper to taste
If you are using fresh tomatoes and/or tomatillos you can opt to cook them down in a heavy saucepan or roast them in the oven for a thicker salsa. Let cool, then use in recipe.
Using Food Processor, process all the ingredients above (except for the onions) until nicely mixed in batches. Soak diced onions in cold water to sweeten and remove any bitterness while you are processing the rest of the ingredients. Then, stir in onions into the salsa and store in a glass dish in the fridge. We like to chill it and let the flavors develop before eating, but of course we always put some in a small bowl to taste right away! ;) We find that the spice level gets hotter overnight. Enjoy with tortilla chips or on tacos, burritos, as a marinade in the crockpot.... this Hatch Chile Salsa is sure to get used up quick.
Homegrown Green Chile:
Growing Hatch Chile seeds is the only way some gardeners can taste the heavenly smoky flavor of New Mexico. If you have ever lived in New Mexico or tasted Hatch green chile then you know you can’t live without it! Now you can experience that wonderful flavor of green chile no matter where you garden. Be prepared because green chile is addictive, just ask any New Mexican!
Like to garden? It's easy to Grow Hatch Chile!
Check out all of our Hatch Chile Seeds »