Green Tomato Recipes
Posted on 15 October 2019
Looking for the best Green Tomato Recipes? Here are some of our favorites below, we like spicy, if you can tell. It seems that every year we have more green tomatoes than red at the end of the season. The frost looms and we frantically pick all the unripe green heirloom tomatoes hoping they'll quickly ripen to red. And, some do, but many of the less ripe ones stay green for a long time and never quite ripe. And, if they do change color, they don't taste anywhere near as good as one that ripened in the garden.
So, we discovered that embracing them as green tomatoes is the way to go! These Green Tomato Recipes below are delicious and a way that you can use the freshly picked green tomatoes for canning or freezing and eating all winter long!
GREEN TOMATO SALSA / SAUCE RECIPE:
A fantastic use of unripe, green tomatoes that you pick before the first frost of winter. Better than waiting for them to ripen! Plus, you can use all your homegrown chiles and hot peppers as well – add as much as you like! This makes for a great sauce for enchiladas or burritos.
- 10-20+ chopped cored green tomatoes (any size, type, or feel free to use a mix of green tomatoes, just use all the green ones that you have!)
- 2-4 cups chopped white onion (optional but we like it!)
- 1/2 Cup - 1 Cup of Sugar (we found that our green tomatoes were pretty tart, so we added sugar to tasted, we made 9 Pints worth and added about 1 Cup of sugar, add sugar a couple tablespoons at a time and taste the sauce and keep adding sugar until it's not so tart)
- 4-6+ cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 - 1+ cups lime juice (Measure per jar: 4 Tablespoons per Pint, 8 Tablespoons per Quart)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed finely chopped cilantro
- 2-4 tsp ground cumim
- 2+ tsp pickling salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp ground black pepper
- Half Pint jars, Pint Jars or Quart Jars as desired
SPICY FRIED GREEN TOMATOES RECIPE
This spicy version of the classic Fried Green Tomatoes recipe is a great way to enjoy your unripe green tomatoes as a delicacy! You will want to start eating these all the time once you try them!
First, slice your tomatoes into .25" inch thick rounds. Discard ends into compost.
Then make the breading by whisking the egg and milk/buttermilk together in a shallow dish such as a pie pan. Fill two other shallow dishes with the half of the flour in one and the other half of the flower and the cornmeal, salt and pepper in the other dish / pie pan.
GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY RECIPE:
4 cups green tomatoes (cut into small chunks)
3 cups apples (diced)
1 tsp ginger powder
1 oz cut garlic (4 cloves)
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Simmer for 1 hour, then stir in a quarter cup of sliced almonds. Let cool and store in fridge, it is great served alongside grilled meats like chicken, or used as a relish for hot dogs, or topped on crackers with a little cream cheese. You could make a spicy variation of this and add some green chiles or hot peppers to the mix!