Here's a simple recipe for Green Chile Enchilada Casserole:
- Green Chile Sauce or Green Chile Stew - or -
- Green Tomato Salsa / Sauce
- Optional if available: Fresh roasted, peeled and diced green chile
- 1 Diced Onion (purple, white or green onions or all three!)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (or use mozzarella, or omit cheese to make vegan)
- Black Olives, sliced
- Filling: Choose from any of the following: black beans, pinto beans, diced zucchini, squash, potatoes, mushrooms, or ground beef
- Optional: Add hot peppers of your choice if you like it spicy! Think Jalapenos, or other hot peppers. Even super hot peppers if you like it XXX hot!
It's simple: layer corn tortillas in a glass lasagna dish with the other ingredients to create this dish. First spread green chile sauce or Green Tomato Sauce, then add a layer of corn tortillas, then layer with cheese, onions, and filling of your choice, green chile or hot peppers, with more sauce/stew, another layer of tortillas, repeat. Top with cheese and olives and a sprinkle of onions and fresh roasted green chile. Bake in the oven at 350˚ F for 30-45 minutes (check to see that the cheese is melted and browning on top.
Feel free to mix it up and add anything you want to this casserole, it's fun to make it a little differently each time. You can also make it vegan by simply omitting the cheese and meat and adding more veggies. Enjoy!
Love peppers and tomatoes?
View more of our Recipes »