Fresh Tomatillo Salsa with Chimayo Peppers
Mix up a batch of this Tomatillo salsa and it's sure to be a hit! With fresh Tomatillos, a couple fresh Chimayo chiles or Jalapeños or any hot pepper, plus 2-4 fresh garlic cloves, chopped onion, salt, pepper, fresh cilantro and cumin, this is a fresh salsa that you'll love.
- Tomatillos (as many as you can pick! (A bowl's worth or more)
- 1/2 Sweet White or Purple Onion, diced (rinse and soak in cold water to remove sharp taste and sweeten onion)
- 2-3+ Garlic cloves
- 1-2+ Jalapeños or other Hot Peppers (like Chimayos, Carolina Reaper)
- Fresh Cilantro (I usually use a small bunch of it, but use to taste)
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Cumin Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Lime – juiced (optional)
Unwrap the tomatillos, wash in warm water (aren't they greasy?!)
To make a thicker more complex flavored salsa, you can also roast the tomatillos in a cast iron pan in the over to slightly char the skins and reduce the liquid.
Then add all of the other ingredients except for the chopped onions into a blender / food processor and blend until smooth. Add onions and mix for a second, then viola! One of our favorite salsas. Serve with tortilla chips.
Salsa Chef's Secret Tip:
Soak Onions in cold water before putting in Salsa to sweeten, and remove bitterness.