Fresh Tomatillo Salsa with Chimayo Peppers
Mix up a batch of this Tomatillo salsa and it's sure to be a hit! With fresh Tomatillos, a couple fresh Chimayo chiles or Jalapeños or any hot pepper, plus 2-4 fresh garlic cloves, chopped onion, salt, pepper, fresh cilantro and cumin, this is a fresh salsa that you'll love.
- Tomatillos (as many ripe ones as you can pick – a bowl's worth or more)
- 1/2 Sweet White or Purple Onion, diced (rinse and soak in cold water to remove sharp taste and sweeten onion if desired)
- 2-3+ Garlic cloves
- 1-2+ Jalapeños or other Hot Peppers (like Chimayos, Carolina Reaper)
- Fresh Cilantro (I usually use a bunch of it, but use to taste)
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Cumin Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Lime – juiced (optional)
Unwrap the tomatillos, wash in warm water (aren't they greasy?!)
To make a thicker more complex flavored salsa, you can also roast the tomatillos in a cast iron pan in the oven or on the grill to slightly char the skins, reduce the liquid and condense the flavors.
Then add all of the other ingredients except for the chopped onions into a blender / food processor and blend until smooth. Add onions and mix for a second, then viola! One of our favorite salsas. Serve with tortilla chips.
Salsa Chef's Secret Tip:
Soak overly strong onions in cold water before putting in Salsa to sweeten the onions, and remove bitterness.