You can make your own hummus or use store-bought hummus for this delicious vegan / vegetarian version of Jalapeño Poppers.
Vegan Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
Make your own Hummus:
• 1 can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
• 3-5 garlic cloves
• ½ tsp black pepper
• ½ tsp red pepper
• ¼ cup water
• Juice of 1 lemon, plus grate a little of the lemon rind
• 2 Tablespoons of Olive oil, Sesame Oil or use Tahini if you have it
• 8-10 Jalapenos, sliced in half, seeds removed
(use gloves if jalapenos typically burn your skin, or make sure not to touch the white ribs or seeds inside to avoid burning your hands.)
• 6-8 grape tomatoes, finely chopped
• Bread Crumbs
• Olives (kalamata, green or black olives, optional, for an added burst of flavor)
(Panko or otherwise, for extra crunch, optional)Directions:
If making your own hummus, put the hummus ingredients into food processor and blend until smooth. Fire up your grill, or preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Use old baking pan, grease slightly to keep poppers from sticking. Fill each jalapeno shell completely with hummus, topping with tomatoes and olives and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Roast in the oven or on the grill until steamy and hot, and then enjoy!
Grow your own Jalapeño Poppers!
Grow a colorful assortment of Jalapeños in your garden. Jalapeños are one of the fastest growing hot peppers and are great for beginners and containers. See all of our Jalapeño Seeds