Happy National Chili Day!! We like Hatch Chile best of all!
Are you making some chili to celebrate today?
Today, Thursday, February 28, 2019 is National Chili Day! 'Chili' is short for chili con carne, which simply means chili with meat in spanish. The fourth Thursday of February is National Chili Day each year to honor the cook-off favorite. What's your favorite type of chile? Share your recipes or photos with us on Facebook »
One of our favorite chili recipes is below. We love pulling out some of the last of the frozen Hatch chile harvested and roasted from last season this time of year to make a big batch of green chile stew! Here's our recipe:
NEW MEXICO HATCH GREEN CHILE STEW
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup roasted Hatch green chiles, diced
- 2 lbs of pork shoulder, cubed
- 1 onion medium, diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 1½ tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp pepper (white or regular)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups water
- flour tortillas, for serving
- fresh cilantro, for serving
- Heat large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add 1½ tbsp of olive oil and brown the pork in batches, then place into bowl to rest. Add a little more oil, then saute the onion, salt, cumin, oregano and pepper for a couple minutes. Add flour and stir until it starts to turn brown, then add Hatch green chiles, water, and pork. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour until the pork is tender. Spoon into bowls and serve with tortillas and fresh cilantro, and even some shredded cheese and fresh onions on top if you fancy. Yum!
This delicious green chile stew is sure to beat any National Chili Day cook-offs!